Thursday, October 27, 2011

DIY: Recycling Onions

I must admit, I had never heard of recycling any food until I was lucky enough to stumble across this website during my lunch break at work. Now, I am a believer that this works! I have to share with you my little 'secret' garden I am growing at home.

I have a bit of a green thumb, and whenever I know I can grow a plant (and do it well), I often try to continue my efforts. I love to cook and I enjoy recycling. Unfortunately, I am unable to compost at my apartment - there is simply not enough space to do it. So, I figured after reading that article on growing your own onions from scrap cut onions, I figured I would try myself.

About a week ago, I found myself cutting up a few sweet onions I had purchased that were about to spoil. I chopped everything, leaving a small amount of onion attached to the roots of the original onion. Instead of throwing this piece away (as I have typically done), I placed the old roots from the onions in a small bowl filled with water. After about a week of letting the roots grow (with a daily change of the water so my kitchen would not smell like onions), I was finally able to plant them in a medium-sized pot. Sitting them near my sunny door, I slowly watched in anticipation.
They are growing!!
Aren't they wonderful!! Each one has a few green sprouts coming from the center of the originally cut up onion. I am so excited and this is only after one week. How awesome is it that you can do this! At first, I was quite skeptical about being able to grow new onions from old ones, but I like this. Now I can save a few pennies by growing my own!

No comments:

Post a Comment