Friday, October 5, 2012

A Weekend of Letterboxing

I was so excited to be able to go Letterboxing this past weekend with the boyfriend. Our first hunt was to Forest Hill Park - thanks to an online letterboxing blogger I had come across. I had not been to this park since I was a child so it was nice to come back and visit.
On the trails at Forest Hill Park
We really enjoyed a lot of the paths along the way. It was nice to go back and reminisce with my boyfriend about some of my favorite childhood memories. Since my grandmother had lived close to the park, we use to venture here quite often. I really enjoyed every moment here with her so it was nice to share that with the boyfriend.
Going over the clues again....
Sadly, we didn't find any of the 4 letterboxes that were placed. After reviewing the blog again, I realized that they were placed over 10 years ago, so I was sure they were probably stolen/tossed since then. I reached out to the blogger who placed the letterboxes. Hopefully she will be able to replace the boxes if they were taken.
I was still stirrring over the fact that we had spent an entire day letterboxing without a find. I was determined to find one. A part of letterboxing is realizing that sometimes you won't find the goodies that were placed - sometimes those boxes are missing/stolen/moved. But, I am always up for the challenge, regardless. But, I wanted to find one before the weekend was out, so I prepped my bag for another day of letterboxing.
The Gardens at Sunday Park
On Sunday, we brought my aunt along (though she was not to fond of having the camera around) so that she could experience a bit of letterboxing for herself and how it goes. Since this place is really close to us and pretty easy, we figured this would be a great letterbox to introduce her to. We were excited since this is a letterbox we had been saving - given it's close location. So this past weekend, we grabbed our directions and set out to find our letterbox (United 37).

We found our Letterbox and placed our stamp!
We were so excited to show off the letterbox we found! It was a great find - hidden quite well - and a great example to my aunt about the search for a letterbox. I loved the story that came with this box. (Hint: someone was married here and this letterbox has to do with it. I will leave the rest up to you, my friends, to find out the rest of the story, as well as the letterbox. If you are in the area, stop on in and try it out for yourself. Happy Hunting!

In the mean time, we are considering planting our own letterbox. Details to come if you are interested in hunting for it yourself!!

No comments:

Post a Comment