Monday, January 28, 2013

DIY Valentine's Day Wreath

I have been busy looking for some great decoration ideas that will vamp up my home without breaking the bank account. Pinterest always has so many great home decorating ideas you can do for just pennies. I found this great heart-shaped wreath and knew I could replicate it with some simple and cheap items.

You will need:
  • Hot Glue Gun (one stick of glue will do)
  • Heart-shaped wreath (found at any craft store- I snagged mine at Joann Fabrics)
  • 1 ball of yarn (I found mine on cleanrance for $0.59 at Michael's) **the amount of yarn you will need will be determined by the size of your wreath. I had a small wreath, so I only needed one ball of yarn**
  • 1 sheet of pink felt
  • 1 sheet of red felt
  • 2 bamboo skewers (or salvaged fallen wooden sticks will do too!)
  • 2 yards of ribbon (to hang the wreath)
All I did was hot glue the starter piece of the yarn in the back of the wreath and wrap the entire foam wreath with the yarn. I found that I needed to hot glue some layers of yarn down to ensure the yarn would not move - best to keep it glued where you know no one will see the glue). You will also have to hot glue to last piece of yarn to the back of the wreath as well to ensure it does not come loose and unravel.

Next, I cut the red felt sheet into a large heart and the pink sheet into the D-shape for the fletching of the arrow. Then, I cut two bamboo skewers to fit on my wreath (for the arrow). I stabbed each one into the wreath- securing the bamboo skewer in the wreath with a drop of hot glue in the hole I made. I hot glued the felt pieces onto my wreath and used my ribbon to create the loops needed to hold the wreath up on the wreath holder for my door.

Here is my finished product!! Good Luck and feel free to message me if you have any questions!!

No comments:

Post a Comment